Xplore Eyre – 10-Day Adelaide to Perth Overland Tour
- Duration: 10 Days (approx.)
- Product code: APGWT9
This 10-day, 4,000km bucket list journey across Australia will leave you breathless, fascinated and connected with nature in a way you could not have imagined. Expect to be wowed by the mouth-watering seafood, incredible coastline and wildlife on the Eyre Peninsula. Feel the vastness of our great land as you travel across the mighty Nullarbor, and stand on the 'Edge of Australia' at the Head of Bight. Walk the footprint-free white sandy beaches of Esperance, taste your way around Margaret River and explore the ancient forests of the South West of Western Australia.
- Feast on the world's most delectable, Coffin Bay Oysters
- Swim with playful sea lions and magical bottlenose dolphins (OE)
- Experience the jaw-dropping scenery of the Great Australian Bight
- Meet the kangaroos of Esperance and Cape Le Grand National Park
- Walk among the ancient forests of Valley of the Giants
- Taste your way around the Margaret River wine region
- Engage with Indigenous culture at Koomal Dreaming
Day 1 – Adelaide to Port Lincoln
After a short 45-minute flight from Adelaide to Port Lincoln, your expert guide will greet you and give you an overview of the journey ahead. Recognised as 'Australia's Seafood Capital' explore Port Lincoln's highlights, including Mikkira Station, home to a wild koala population. Enjoy a seafood lunch at the Fresh Fish Place and explore the stunning coastline. Pop into a vineyard for wine tasting and check into the Port Lincoln Hotel to freshen up before relaxing over a lovely dinner at a local restaurant.
Driving distance today is around 150km.
Day 2 – Coffin Bay
Mosey up the coast to the seaside town of Coffin Bay. Visit the pristine national park spotting an abundance of wildlife, and take off your shoes for a stroll along a deserted beach. On the Oyster Farm Tour, put on some waders and sit down to feast on delectable Coffin Bay oysters, plucked straight out of the ocean. After lunch, head up the West Coast of the Eyre Peninsula exploring beautiful sights such as Locks Well and Talia Caves. Come late afternoon arrive at Coodlie Park Farm Retreat and join company owners Hassie and Jo for a campfire feast under the stars.
Today travel approximately 250km and tonight sleep in a fully self-contained cottage at Coodlie Park.
Day 3 – Baird Bay & Ceduna
After an early breakfast, head north to Baird Bay for a tour highlight, swimming with Australian sea lions and dolphins on a 3-hour eco-cruise. The puppy dogs of the sea will twist and twirl around you, and the magical dolphins won't disappoint either. This optional extra is just $180pp and available from September to May. If it is is not operating, or you'd rather stay on dry land, we offer an alternative itinerary.
After lunch in Streaky Bay, we'll take a coastal drive to Ceduna and come late afternoon, check into the 4.5 star Eco Villas, positioned right on the beach. Relax and watch the sunset over the ocean as you sample fresh local produce and wines.
Day 4 - Head of Bight & The Nullarbor
Onwards to the magnificent Head of Bight, Australia's ultimate coastal lookout. In the months from June to October, spot Southern Right Whales and their young frolicking in the waters of the Great Australian Bight Marine Park. Get ready to be immersed into the Australian outback, beginning the 1660km journey across the Nullarbor Plain. You'll even have the opportunity to play golf on the longest golf course in the world, the Nullarbor Links.
Today travel 550km and stay in an iconic Outback Roadhouse Motel in Border Village, just a few kilometres from Western Australia.
Day 5 – The Nullarbor & Esperance
Hit the road before the birds chirp today as the journey across the mighty Nullarbor continues. Stop for an iconic photo at the 90 Mile Straight roadsign and cross the border into Western Australia, rewinding your clock 1.5 hours.
Travel 790km today, which is a long-distance, even by Australian standards. Be entertained by your guide as you enjoy the changing landscapes and depending on weather conditions, head off-road, four-wheel driving along the Balladonia Track to see some unique historical highlights. Arrive in Esperance in the early evening and after a long day enjoy a BBQ dinner on the balcony at the Bay of Isles Motel.
Day 6 – Cape Le Grand National Park
Words cannot describe the beauty you are going to experience today. Located approximately 50km east of Esperance, Cape Le Grand is one of Western Australia's most spectacular National Parks. It features blindingly white sandy beaches with sand so fine it squeaks between your toes. Wildlife is in abundance including the iconic sunbathing kangaroos at Lucky Bay who are always up for a photo opportunity. Swim, bushwalk and reconnect with nature today.
Tonight stay back in Esperance and enjoy dining at a local restaurant. Just 80km to travel today.
Day 7 – South West Coast & Albany
It's more breathtaking scenery today heading from Esperance through the beautiful Stirling Ranges, and if you are travelling during wildflower season, it will look even more picture-perfect. At the Porongurups, take a two-hour walk to Castel Rock which is worth every bit of effort being rewarded with jaw-dropping views over the region.
Travel along the coastline towards Albany, and if you are up for it, stop at Torndirrup National Park to see coastal highlights, The Gap and Natural Bridge. Arrive at our accommodation late afternoon and enjoy a meal overlooking the ocean. Today we travel around 550km.
Day 8 – Denmark & Walpole
After breakfast, have a little look around the Albany township and take in the views from Mt. Clarance. Set off towards Denmark, a gorgeous town nestled on the banks of the Denmark River. Head into the old-growth forests in the Walpole Wilderness region and connect with nature at the Valley of the Giants. Walk 40 metres high into the canopy of Western Australia's majestic tingle trees, found nowhere else on Earth.
Arrive into Margaret River in the late afternoon and settle into your accommodation at the Margaret River Beach Resort. Enjoy a delicious meal at The Common Restaurant overlooking the ocean. Today we travel around 400km.
Day 9 – Margaret River
After breakfast at a favourite local café overlooking the Indian Ocean, explore the quaint township of Margaret River and its eclectic craft and produce stores. Taste buds will be tingling as you taste your way around the region. The guide will tailor the day around your favourite flavours, whether that be wine, beer, gin, olives, dairy or sweet treats. But the highlight today will be a delectable lunch at the world-renowned Vasse Felix, Margaret River's founding wine estate.
Relax on the balcony back at the Resort and enjoy a platter of local produce collected throughout the day. Today we travel within the Margaret River region travelling around 80km.
Day 10 – Margaret River to Perth
This morning, have one of the best Indigenous experiences in Australia at Koomal Dreaming. Journey deep into Ngilgi Cave where you'll be mesmerised by a live didgeridoo performance, storytelling and traditional fire-making during this fascinating 2.5-hour cultural tour.
As your 10-day journey draws to an end, visit one last white sandy beach in Dunsborough before stopping in for some coffee and ice cream at the popular holiday town of Busselton. Here you will see the second longest jetty in the world. Arrive into Perth around dinner time where we will drop you at your pre-booked accommodation. Today travel 300km to the sunny capital, Perth.
- Flight – Adelaide to Port Lincoln
- Accommodation – 9 nights
- All entry fees, national park fees and activities unless stated as an optional extra experience
- All meals and beverages
- Airport transfers in Adelaide
- Transport – executive 4WD
- Local guide and expert knowledge
While everything on our tours is included in the price, there is one optional extra experience on this tour that we leave up to you to decide if you would like to do. This is a very popular activity, so we highly recommend securing your place at the time of booking. You can add these to your cart when booking.
Please keep in mind; This tour is operated by a third party and separate to Xplore Eyre. Therefore, the terms and conditions of that company apply. Weather can play an essential part in the operations of this tour, and occasionally a tour may be cancelled which is beyond our control. If that is the case, you will be provided with a full refund for this experience.
Swim with sea lions and dolphins ($180pp)
The interaction that you will have with the sea lions and dolphins at Baird Bay will leave you breathless. Board the 14-seater boat for a short ride to the first stop, where you'll swim with sea lions. This natural experience takes place in approximately two metres of water where the sea lions come into the sheltered lagoon.
Head further out into the bay to swim with the majestic bottlenose dolphins. This happens in four metres of water but still within the sheltered bay. The tour is 3-4 hours, and a wetsuit and snorkel equipment is included.
- Flights are operated by Rex and depart Adelaide at 7 am – arriving Port Lincoln 7.50 am.
- Rex has a 15kg luggage restriction per person plus one 7kg carry on; however, upon presenting a valid itinerary or ticket, passengers with international connections are permitted 20kg. For more details on Rex Baggage Allowance, please visit their website.
- Accommodation is at a variety of quality hotels, apartments and motels. Rates are based on Twin/Double Share. If you are travelling solo, you need to pay the Single Traveller rate for your own room.
- Any Optional Extra Experiences are outsourced, and therefore the terms and conditions of each operator apply.
- Dietary requirements can be catered for and please advise at the time of booking.
- Our tours require a minimum of two people to operate, and in the unlikely event, we only have one person confirmed we have some other options available. Firstly, a Single Traveller fee is offered to run the tour with only one person. Secondly, we reserve the right to cancel the trip and arrange an alternative operator (if possible). If the alternative is not suitable, we will refund your tour price in full.
- Private tours require a minimum of two people. If you would like to upgrade to a private experience, you can do this during the booking process.
- Please read our full Booking Terms & Conditions before booking your tour.
- The sea lion and dolphin tour does not operate from June to August, and an alternative itinerary will apply in the morning during these months.
- Changes to Itinerary: Our experienced guides will tailor activities on seasonal conditions throughout the year to maximise your experience and enjoyment. Any deviation from this itinerary will be made with serious consideration and passengers' best interest and safety as our number one priority.