Xplore Eyre – 5-Day Kangaroo Island & Eyre Peninsula Tour
- Duration: 5 Days (approx.)
- Product code: KIEP5
This five day tour combines two of South Australia’s most pristine and iconic regions, each offering their own diverse experiences and delectable local produce. Spend two days exploring the pristine wilderness of Kangaroo Island. From Flinders Chase National Park to the iconic Remarkable Rocks, you’ll marvel at the dramatic seascapes and abundant wildlife. Board a private sunset charter flight direct to Australia’s Seafood Frontier – Port Lincoln. Lovers of seafood will be in their element engaging in the unique Coffin Bay Oyster Farm Tour and dining at award winning restaurants. Wildlife experiences such as the koalas of Mikkira Station or swimming with sea lions will create lifetime memories. Staying in premium hotels by night, by day your expert guide will share their knowledge and passion of these world class regions with you.
- Flinders Chase National Park - a wilderness covering nearly 200,000 acres
- Visit Cape du Couedic to see seals frolicking in the surf under Admirals Arch
- Tantalise your taste buds feasting on the local produce from both regions
- Take to the skies on a Scenic Sunset Charter Flight from Kangaroo Island to Port Lincoln
- Taste the world’s most delectable oysters on the Coffin Bay Oyster Farm Tour
- Relax on an Electric Boat Cruise around Port Lincoln Marina
- Be wowed by the rugged beauty of Whalers Way & Lincoln National Park
- Swim with Australian sea lions on a half day cruise to Seal Cove (OE)
- Come face to face with the majestic Great White Shark (OE)
Day 1 – Adelaide to Kangaroo Island
This all-inclusive tour starts from your Adelaide accommodation with transfers to the airport to catch your early morning flight to Kangaroo Island. Your ‘Exceptional Kangaroo Island’ guide will pick you up from the airport and share information and knowledge on this unique and pristine region.
Explore the diverse landscapes of Kangaroo Island from the Cygnet River Valley on the north coast, across the central plateau and down to the rugged South Coast. Walk quietly through the bush with your guide and learn about some of the unique Island plants. Enjoy a delicious lunch in a private bush setting featuring some of the Island’s fresh produce including local fish, salads and fine wines before continuing to the South Coast. Walk amongst sea lions on a beautiful sandy beach at Seal Bay Conservation Park. Tonight, you’ll stay at the Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge and enjoy a delicious dinner of local produce.
Day 2 – Kangaroo Island to Port Lincoln
It will be up early today to explore more of Kangaroo Island’s highlights and lesser known backtracks of Flinders Chase National Park. See a large array of wildlife species and at Cape du Couedic visit a fur seal colony. Be amazed by the rock formations of Admirals Arch and The Remarkable Rocks. Our picnic lunch today features great local wines and produce before exploring more of the Island. Depending upon the season, the afternoon might include a visit to “Grassdale” in the heart of Kelly Hill Conservation Park, the secluded pools of the Rocky River or a rugged South Coast cove
As your time on Kangaroo Island comes to an end, your guide will drop you to Kingscote Airport to catch your private sunset charter flight direct to Port Lincoln. Here your Xplore Eyre guide will greet you and take you to the award-winning Port Lincoln Hotel where you will spend the next three nights. Learn about the exciting things ahead over a delicious evening meal.
Day 3 – Port Lincoln
After breakfast it’s time to do some exploring around Port Lincoln. This will include a visit to Winters Hill to fully understand what you will discover in the region over the coming days. Enjoy a tantalising lunch of local seafood harvest at the Marina Hotel Restaurant and with a full tummy, board the ‘Tesla’, a unique electric canal cruiser. Enjoy a tranquil cruise around Port Lincoln’s Marina and learn about Australia’s largest commercial fishing fleet.
Back on dry land explore some stunning coastline at Sleaford Bay and Whalers Way, before visiting Mikkira Station. Home to a wild koala population, here you’ll snap some great photos. After a full day of exploring its time to relax and enjoy dinner at another fabulous restaurant.
Day 4 – Port Lincoln & Surrounds (Optional Sea Lions)
This morning you have the choice between two quite different itineraries. Wildlife lovers are going to jump at the chance to twist, twirl and splash around with playful Australian sea lions at Seal Cove. This half-day cruise is an optional extra experience at $215pp.
If you prefer to stay on dry land this morning, you’ll start the day exploring the breathtakingly beautiful Lincoln National Park. Enjoy morning tea at Stamford Hill after an invigorating climb and take your shoes off to walk along a footprint free white sandy beach. Then it’s back to Port Lincoln for lunch at the Fresh Fish Place, for the best fresh fish and chips you might ever taste!
No matter which option you choose in the morning, the afternoon looks like this. Visit Boston Bay Wines for tastings, followed by Glen Forest Tourist Park for some up close and personal wildlife encounters. Pop into the unique Koppio Smithy Museum for a touch of history that is sure to impress. After another full day it’s time to settle in for a great evening meal and local wine.
Please note the Sea Lions tour does not operate in winter from June to August.
Day 5 – Coffin Bay (or Great White Shark Experiences)
Today is a foodies dream day. Explore the pristine Coffin Bay National Park famed for its footprint free white sandy beaches and enjoy morning tea at the beautiful Yangie Bay picnic area. Following this you will have a unique harvest experience on the Coffin Bay Oyster Farm Tour, the only one of its kind in Australia. Put on some waders and sit down at a semi-submerged ‘Salt Water Pavilion’ located at their working commercial Oyster Lease. Feast on the world’s most sought after oysters, plucked straight out of the ocean.
Lunch will follow with a wonderful seafood platter at the renowned 1802 Oyster Bar & Restaurant and heading back towards Port Lincoln, visit the Boston Bean Coffee Company for a caffeine hit. Take a stroll along the foreshore before a visit to the Eyre Peninsula’s very own boutique brewery, Beer Garden Brewing. Get ready for your final taste sensation enjoying some locally brewed beers and wood fired pizza.
As we come to the end of your journey your Guide will drop you back to the airport for your 7.40pm flight to Adelaide. Your airport transfer back to your Adelaide accommodation will have you arriving back to your hotel at approximately 9pm.
Alternative Day 5 Itinerary - Great White Experiences (Optional Extra)
Alternatively, those who love aquatic wildlife, and/or are seeking an adrenalin rush, can choose the full day optional experience of coming face-to-face with the majestic, Great White Shark. There are two operators offering different types of experiences: From staying dry in a revolutionary glass viewing aqua sub, to the more extreme option of entering the cage. Prices range from $350 to $564 depending on your choice. Please see ‘Optional Extras’ for more information.
- Flights – Adelaide to Kangaroo Island. Kangaroo Island to Port Lincoln private charter. Port Lincoln to Adelaide
- Accommodation – 1 night at Mercure Kangaroo Island Lodge and 3 nights at the Port Lincoln Hotel
- All entry fees, national park fees and activities unless stated as an optional extra experience
- All meals and wine
- Airport transfers
- Transport – executive 4WD
- Local guide and expert knowledge
While everything on our tours is included in the price, there are a few optional extra experiences on this tour that we leave up to you to decide if you would like to do. These are very popular activities, so we highly recommend securing your place at time of booking. You can add these to your cart when booking.
Please keep in mind; These tours are operated by third parties and separate to Xplore Eyre. Therefore, the terms and conditions of each of these companies apply. Weather can play an important part in the operations of these tours and occasionally a tour may be cancelled which is beyond our control. If that is the case, you will be provided a full refund.
Swim with Sea Lions in Port Lincoln
Adventure Bay Charters - $215pp
(Please note does not operate June-August)
Head out on this half-day cruise to the crystal-clear waters of Seal Cove off Port Lincoln, where the puppy dogs of the sea will welcome your arrival with great excitement! Swim and splash about in the company of these inquisitive animals as they twist and twirl all around you. Included in the cost is your mask, snorkel, wetsuit and fins, light breakfast served in departure lounge, morning tea on board & free photos.
Great White Shark Experiences in Port Lincoln
Adventure Bay Charters - From $389pp to $564pp
This is Australia’s first Advanced Eco-certified White Shark Tour. Sustainable and responsible, Adventure Bay Charters use rock music to attract the sharks, which also makes for a great vibe on the boat for your tour. They also have the only Aqua Sub, dry glass viewing platform with 360-degree views of the Great Whites in their natural habitat. This allows you to come face to face with the sharks and the cage divers whilst staying dry! If you are feeling brave you can upgrade on the day to have the ultimate thrill of plunging into the Southern Ocean with the sharks, from within the safety of the cage.
This full day tour to the Neptune Islands departs at 6.30am and returns at 6.30pm. It includes all equipment, breakfast, morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea. You also receive a selection of free images which they will email to you within a couple of days.
- Full Day Tour/Aqua Sub Access - $350pp (at time of booking)
- Cage Dive - $175pp (paid on board)
- $39 ‘Department of Environment Fee’ is payable on the day regardless of which option you choose (payed at reception)
If you opt to enter the cage but do not see any Great White Sharks you will not pay the $150 Cage Entry fee, just the $350 + $39.
Calypso Star Charters Shark Cage Diving - $532pp
Calypso Star Charters was established in 1990 and have a proud history of providing safe and exciting Advanced Eco Certified Shark Cage Diving. They are the only one-day Shark Cage Diving South Australian tour operator who is permitted to use natural fish burley (chum) to attract the sharks. This sustainable practice provides passengers with the best possible chance of sighting and interaction close to the vessel and cage, which will enhance your incredible experience!
The full day’s charter boards at 6.30am and it takes about 2.5 hours to get out to the Neptune Islands. No diver experience is required. All food and equipment is supplied and MV Calypso Star 2 is the only Shark Cage Diving vessel fitted with a Gyroscopic Stabiliser, increasing guests’ comfort throughout the day.
Please note the $532 rate is inclusive of a $37 Department of Environment Fee.
On days of nil sightings of White Sharks, all guests will be refunded $100 and provided a $200 voucher off a future tour.
- The Kangaroo Island part of this package is operated by Exceptional Kangaroo Island Tours.
- Dietary requirements can be catered for but must be advised at time of booking.
- Adelaide to Kangaroo Island flights are operated by Rex Airlines and depart Adelaide for Kangaroo Island at 8.00am. Rex also operate your return Port Lincoln to Adelaide flight on day five which departs at 7.40pm arriving Adelaide 8.30pm.
- We recommend storing some luggage at your return accommodation in Adelaide as Rex have a 15kg luggage restriction per person plus one 7kg carry on. For more details on Rex Baggage Allowance please visit their website.
- The Kangaroo Island to Port Lincoln charter flight is on a 7-seater aircraft operated by Lincoln Air Charters and takes about one hour, departing late afternoon. Strict luggage restrictions of 15kg maximum apply.
- It is highly recommended that you pre-book the optional activities at time of booking as they are very popular and can’t be booked on the day. Inquire direct with Xplore Eyre or add to your cart at time of booking.
- Any Optional Extra Experiences are outsourced and therefore the terms and conditions of each operators apply.
- Sea lions tour doesn’t operate from June to August.
- Our tours require a minimum of two people to operate and in the unlikely event we only have one person confirmed we have some other options available. Firstly, a Single Supplement fee is offered to run the tour with only one person. Secondly, we reserve the right to cancel the tour and arrange an alternative operator (if possible). If the alternative is not suitable, we will refund your tour price in full.
- Changes to Itinerary: Our experienced guides will tailor activities on seasonal conditions throughout the year to maximise your experience and enjoyment. Any deviation from this itinerary will be made with serious consideration and passengers’ best interest and safety as our number one priority.
- Please read our full Booking Terms & Conditions prior to booking your tour.