Xplore Eyre – 10-Day Perth to Adelaide Overland Tour
- Duration: 10 Days (approx.)
- Product code: PAGWT9
This 10-day, 4,000km bucket list journey across Australia will leave you connected with nature in a way you could not have imagined. Taste your way around the Margaret River wine region and walk in the treetops in the forests of the South West of Western Australia. Meet the kangaroos of Lucky Bay in Esperance and experience the vastness of this great land as you travel across the mighty Nullarbor. Stand on the 'Edge of Australia' at Head of Bight and be wowed by the mouth-watering seafood and abundant wildlife of the Eyre Peninsula.
Travelling in a 7-seater executive four-wheel drive, your expert guide will take you off the beaten track to experience the real Australia. And at the end of each day, sit back and relax with some local produce and matching wine, creating memories to last a lifetime.
- Engage with Indigenous Culture at Koomal Dreaming
- Taste your way around the Margaret River wine and produce region
- Walk among the ancient forests of Valley of the Giants
- Explore Cape Le Grand National Park – a national treasure
- Experience the jaw-dropping scenery of the Great Australian Bight
- Feast on the world's most delectable, Coffin Bay Oysters
- Swim with playful sea lions and magical bottlenose dolphins (OE)
- Dine in premium restaurants tasting world-class local produce and wine
Day 1 – Perth to Margaret River
Your expert guide will meet you first thing and tell you about the exciting journey ahead over a coffee. Make the first stop at the popular holiday town of Busselton to see the world's second-longest jetty, stretching 1.8km into the turquoise waters of Geographe Bay.
After a picnic at a magical beach, enjoy one of the best Indigenous cultural experiences in Australia at Koomal Dreaming. Meet local custodian Josh and journey deep into Ngilgi Cave, where you'll be mesmerised by a live didgeridoo performance, storytelling and traditional fire-making.
On the way into Margaret River, pop into a winery for your first taste of the region and by late afternoon, settle into your accommodation at the Margaret River Beach Resort. Enjoy a delicious meal at The Common Restaurant.
Today travel around 350km.
Day 2 – Margaret River
Enjoy breakfast at a favourite local café while watching surfers riding the waves of one of the worlds most renowned breaks. Explore the quaint township of Margaret River and its eclectic craft and produce stores. Today get ready to have the taste buds tingling as you taste your way around the region. Visit various cellar doors from wine, beer and gin, to dairy and sweet treats, and in amongst the tastings, you'll stop for lunch today at one of the Margaret River's great restaurants.
This evening relax back at your hotel and enjoy a platter of local produce collected throughout the day.
Travel within the Margaret River region travelling around 80km.
Day 3 – Walpole, Denmark & Albany
After breakfast, head inland to the Walpole Wilderness region and connect with nature at the Valley of the Giants. Walk 40 metres high into the canopy of Western Australia's majestic tingle trees, found nowhere else on Earth.
Stretch the legs at Denmark, a gorgeous town nestled on the banks of the Denmark River. Next, we'll make our way along a dreamy coastal drive towards Albany, stopping at two highlights, The Gap and Natural Bridge. Check into our accommodation and enjoy a meal at a local restaurant overlooking the ocean.
Today we'll travel around 350km.
Day 4 – Albany to Esperance
After breakfast, discover Albany's township and its interesting history before travelling into the Porongurup's for a two-hour walk to Castel Rock. Be wowed by jaw-dropping views over the region. Travel through the beautiful Stirling Ranges towards Esperance, and if you are travelling during wildflower season, it will look even more picture-perfect.
Stop at the mind-blowingly beautiful Twilight Cove for your first taste of the epic beaches of the 'Golden Outback'. Check into our Esperance accommodation and enjoy an evening meal overlooking a turquoise ocean.
Today we'll travel 480km.
Day 5 – Cape Le Grand National Park
Words cannot describe the absolute beauty you are going to experience today. Located approximately 50km east of Esperance, Cape Le Grand is one of Western Australia's most spectacular National Parks. It features blindingly white sandy beaches with sand so fine it squeaks between your toes. Wildlife is in abundance, including the iconic sunbathing kangaroos at Lucky Bay, who are always up for a photo opportunity. Swim, bushwalk and reconnect with nature today.
Stay back in Esperance tonight and enjoy dining at a local restaurant. Just 80km to travel today.
Day 6 - The Nullarbor
It's up before the bird's chirp today. We'll be putting our clocks forward 1.5 hours and have a lot of land to cover as we begin our journey across the Nullarbor Plain. Stretch the legs at the original Eucla Telegraph Station before crossing the border into South Australia.
Today we travel a long-distance, even by Australian standards. Head off-road, four-wheel driving along the Balladonia Track to see some unique historical highlights. Be entertained by your guide as you enjoy the changing landscapes. Tonight, stay at an iconic Outback Roadhouse Motel in Border Village.
Today we travel approximately 790km.
Day 7 – The Nullarbor & Great Australian Bight
Continue the journey along the Nullarbor, stopping in at the unique Koonalda Homestead in the Nullarbor National Park. Formerly a fuel and rest stop for people travelling along the Nullarbor in the 1950s, it was abandoned in the 1970s and is now a unique piece of Australiana history.
Have the opportunity to play a hole on the longest golf course in the world, the Nullarbor Links.
Take in the Head of Bight's otherworldly scenery, Australia's ultimate coastal lookout where from June to October, you can spot whales taking shelter in the Great Australian Bight Marine Park.
Come late afternoon, check into the 4.5 star Eco Villas, positioned right on the beach in Ceduna. Relax and watch the sunset over the ocean as you sample fresh local produce and wines.
Today we travel 480km.
Day 8 - Baird Bay & Elliston
Enjoy a much-deserved sleep in this morning before getting back in the car to travel to Streaky Bay. Grab a coffee and have a look around before we arrive in Baird Bay for a tour highlight, swimming with Australian sea lions and dolphins on a 3-hour eco-cruise. The puppy dogs of the sea will twist and twirl around you, and the magical dolphins won't disappoint either. This optional extra is just $180pp and available from September to May. If it is not operating, or you'd rather stay on dry land, we offer an alternative itinerary.
After lunch, visit Talia Caves and come late afternoon arrive at Waterloo Bay Tourist Park on the beach in Elliston. Enjoy a BBQ dinner on the beach.
Day 9 - Coffin Bay – Port Lincoln
After breakfast, mosey south, stopping at some coastal highlights, including Locks Well and Cummings Lookout. At the seaside town of Coffin Bay, join the Coffin Bay Oyster Farm Tour. Put on some waders and sit down to feast on the world-renowned Coffin Bay oysters, plucked straight out of the ocean. Lunch will follow with a beautiful seafood platter at the 1802 Oyster Bar & Restaurant.
Explore Coffin Bay National Park, where kangaroos and emus are in abundance and walk along another deserted white sandy beach. Come mid-afternoon, arrive in Port Lincoln, and relax at your accommodation before our final dinner at an award-winning seafood restaurant.
Today we travel 300km.
Day 10 – Port Lincoln to Adelaide
On the last day of the tour, you have earned a sleep-in. Enjoy a relaxing continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant and take a town tour of 'Australia's Seafood Capital'. Visit the Fresh Fish Place for lunch, and this afternoon, head offroad, four-wheel driving through the dunes from Wanna Lookout to Sleaford. Get your last dose of epic coastline at Whalers Way and meet the adorable koalas at Mikkira Station.
Pop into a vineyard for wine tasting, and as your ten-day journey comes to an end, your guide will drop you off at the Port Lincoln Airport for your 45-minute flight to Adelaide. A private transfer will have you back to Adelaide accommodation by around 7 pm.
- Flight – Port Lincoln to Adelaide
- Accommodation – 9 nights
- All activities, national park fees and GST
- All Meals
- Airport transfer in Adelaide
- Transport – executive 4WD
- Local guide and expert knowledge
While everything on our tours is included in the price, there is one optional extra experience on this tour that we leave up to you to decide if you would like to do. This is a very popular activity, so we highly recommend securing your place at the time of booking. You can add these to your cart when booking.
Please keep in mind; This tour is operated by a third party and separate to Xplore Eyre. Therefore, the terms and conditions of that company apply. Weather can play an essential part in the operations of this tour, and occasionally a tour may be cancelled which is beyond our control. If that is the case, you will be provided with a full refund for his experience.
Swim with sea lions and dolphins ($180pp)
The interaction that you will have with the sea lions and dolphins at Baird Bay will leave you breathless. Board the 14-seater boat for a short ride to the first stop, where you'll swim with sea lions. This natural experience takes place in approximately two metres of water where the sea lions come into the sheltered lagoon.
Head further out into the bay to swim with the majestic bottlenose dolphins. This happens in four metres of water but still within the sheltered bay. The tour is 3-4 hours, and a wetsuit and snorkel equipment is included.
- From 1st April 2022, this tour will only operate for private groups. Prices will be displayed once you select your departure date.
- Flights are operated by Rex and depart Port Lincoln on day ten at 6.25 pm and arrive in Adelaide at 7.10 pm.
- Rex has a 15kg luggage restriction per person plus one 7kg carry on; however, upon presenting a valid itinerary or ticket, passengers with international connections are permitted 20kg. For more details on Rex Baggage Allowance, please visit their website.
- Accommodation is at a variety of quality hotels, apartments and motels. Rates are based on Twin/Double Share. If you are travelling solo, you need to pay the Single Traveller rate for your own room.
- Private tours require a minimum of two people. If you would like to upgrade to a private experience, you can do this during the booking process.
- Any Optional Extra Experiences are outsourced, and therefore the terms and conditions of each operator apply.
- Dietary requirements can be catered for. Please advise at the time of booking.
- Our tours require a minimum of two people to operate, and in the unlikely event, we only have one person confirmed we have some other options available. Firstly, a Single Traveller fee is offered to run the tour with only one person. Secondly, we reserve the right to cancel the trip and arrange an alternative operator (if possible). If the alternative is not suitable, we will refund your tour price in full. Please read our full Booking Terms & Conditions before booking your tour.
- Sea lions tour does not operate from June to August, and an alternative itinerary for the morning will apply during these months.
- Changes to Itinerary: Our experienced guides will tailor activities on seasonal conditions throughout the year to maximise your experience and enjoyment. Any deviation from this itinerary will be made with serious consideration and passengers' best interest and safety as our number one priority.